[femm] Re: tutorial

In a message dated 11/7/99 4:16:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, Marctt2@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Is there any tutorial available, other than the user's manual ? I'm having
> trouble defining materials after I have my geometry drawn.

Recently, Ian Stokes-Rees has generously written up a brief tutoral that
covers the mechanics of how one gets a model "up and running" in femm. I
have just put it up on the femm website, and it's located at:
http://members.aol.com/GMagnetics/tutor/tutor.htm

Anyhow, the attachment of material properties to a specific region of the
geometry is sort of a frequently asked question. I should make up a formal
FAQ list. My usual answer to this one is:

To specify a material for a specific block label, first make sure that you
are in "block label" mode. The "green circles" icon should be pressed in on
the toolbar if you are in block label mode. Then, to assign a specific
material to a particular block label:

1) Select the block label that you are interested in by moving the mouse
pointer on top of the block label and clicking with the right mouse button
one. The block label will turn red, denoting that it is selected.

2) Press the space bar to "open" the node. A dialog will appear with entries
for "Block Type" and "Side Length." You specify the material by picking the
appropriate material off of the "Block Type" drop list. You can set the
spacing between nodes in the block via the "Side Length" specification. The
default is 0, which chooses node spacing so that the smallest number of nodes
is used that yields a "good" (in the sense of no really obtuse triangles)
mesh. Usually, you will want to choose a number that forces a somewhat
denser mesh.

3) Hit the "Ok" button when your material and side length are specified. A
ring will appear around the block label, denoting the approximate size of the
elements to be meshed in the region associated with the block label.

Note: Before you can assign materials to specific blocks, some material
types must have previously been defined. If you are starting a new problem
from scratch, you define materials from the problem either by defining them
from scratch via the Properties|Materials|Add Property chain of selections
off of the main menu, or by adding from the materials library via the
Properties|Materials Library selection off of the main menu.

http://members.aol.com/dcm3c