Re: [femm] Linear induction motors

To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: dcm3c@xxxxxxx
Date sent: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:59:48 EDT
Send reply to: femm@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [femm] Linear induction motors

> In a message dated 7/29/00 4:06:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jrcamacho@xxxxxx
> writes:
>
> > I am posting this message to all people interested in femm applyed to
> > electrical machines. I am currently using "FEMM" to optimize the
> > design of linear induction motors. If anyone is interested in similar
> > work I will be glad to share ideas and the work that has been
> > developed here.
>
> Hmm--I've been spending most of my time for about the past two years messing
> around with very large long stator LIMs running under field oriented control.
> I use femm for some of this work, but I've have to be somewhat careful of
> the shortcomings of a 2-D, static configuration analysis for LIM design. One
> tends to lose plate edge effects, which have a big impact on losses and rotor
> time constant. Also, the effects of higher harmonics can be a big deal in
> LIMs. However, you really need an analysis including motion to see the drag
> and losses associated with the harmonics.
>
> Anyhow, I'd be interested in talking about LIMs....
>
> Dave.
> --
> http://members.aol.com/dcm3c

Dear Dave,
Yes, you are right. Since we are starting the studies here, it is to
early to talk about harmonics and border effects, but he is doing a
doctoral degree and he certainly will be following the path to the
effects of non-linearities in the LIM's. Certainly the big question
here, and I would be glad to hear your oppinion as an expert in the
field, is: How could we simulate the non linearities caused by
speed in a 2D static simulation? This is something that could
make a doctoral thesis worth to read? We are just starting and if
you have ideas to share I always will be glad to hear them.

With regards and thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,

Dr. J.R. Camacho - IEEE Member: 01981539
UFU - School of Electrical Engineering - P.O. Box: 593
Phone:+55.34.239.4166/250 - Fax: +55.34.236.9530
38400.902 - Uberlandia - MG - Brazil