Re: [femm] new user!

In a message dated 8/19/00 9:27:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
neelcool_in@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> dear users,
> i am a civil engineering student and ia ma in pre final
> year.i would like to use the the finite elememt analysis software.
> i would like to know more about the software and its availibility.
> if anyone can spare some time pleae send me an email giving the
> details.it would be a great help.

A good place to start is to check out Internet Finite Element Resources at
http://www.engr.usask.ca/~macphed/finite/fe_resources/
This is the repository of a vast amount of online information about finite
element methods, as well as links to a number of downloadable codes
applicable to just about any field of engineering. Since you are a civil
engineer (as opposed to those uncivil electrical engineers...), you might be
more interested in something that is related to stress analysis like Felt
(see http://www.engr.usask.ca/~macphed/finite/fe_resources/node122.html),
rather than femm, which is strictly a magnetics program.

Anyhow, it's always seemed important to me not only to know how to use finite
element programs, but to understand something about how and why they work.
By understanding how these methods work, it is possible to avoid doing things
that give "bad" results.

Anyhow, good luck.

http://members.aol.com/dcm3c