Re: [femm] Objects in uniform field

jmhannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am interested in visulizing the magnetic field in magnetic materials
> immeresed in a large uniform field, such as a rod in the earth's magnetic
> field. The instructions on setting up boundary conditions don't make it
> clear if this can be done.
>
> Jim Hannon

Yes, you can do this. For example, define your domain to be a rectangular
region. Define the boundary condition to be A=0 on one edge of the box, and
define A=B*w on the opposite edge, where B is the magnitude of the ambient
uniform field, and w is the distance between the edges. This boundary
condition imposes a field that is inform in the absence of permeable
materials.

I've attached an example of a rod with a hole in the center, and I've picked
the boundary conditions to yield an ambient field of 0.00005 Tesla --
approximately the same as the Earth's magnetic field.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard