Re: Solenoid design

Hi Gert and the rest of the group.

I amnew to this myself, but as far as I know there are three ways to increase the force from your solenoid.

1) increase the current density

2) Improve the coupling of the magnetic field to the armature

3) improve the materials.

I know little about materials so can't help there.

You may be able to improve the coupling by adding iron/steel to focus the field onto the armature (is that the right word?).  Steel is an easier route for a magnetic field than air is, so you can use it to direct the field where you want it.  One of the most effective improvements is to add end plates to the solenoid.

Increasing the current density will work against your need to reduce heat.  You can increase the current density by increasing the diameter of the wire.  I am sending under separate cover a spreadsheet I use.

I hope this helps

Adrian