Re: [femm] "Small skin depth" Impedance Boundary Condition

Fernando Seco wrote:

> Hi David & FEMM people,
>
> When you discuss Boundary Properties in the FEMM User's
> Manual and you come to the Small Skin Depth, it is stated that:
>
> dA/dn + (1+j)/delta * A = 0 (eq 19)
>
> I feel that it should be:
>
> dA/dn + (1+j)/(mur*delta) * A = 0,
>
> with mur = mu(metal)/mu0 being the relative permeability of the
> metal. This comes from the continuity of the tangential component
> of the magnetic intensity, Ht.
>
> How do you feel about it? Greetings from Spain,

Yes, you are right--thank you for catching this. Fortunately, this appears
to be just a typo in the manual. What I've actually implemented in the code
is the boundary condition

(1/mu) dA/dn + (1+j)/(1/mu_ssd*delta) * A = 0

where mu is the permeability of the material inside the boundary, and mu_ssd
is the permeability of the small skin dept material. If the material inside
the boundary is air, mu = permeability of free space, and the BC becomes just
as you had said. The way that it is implemented now also gives a consistent
result if, say, the material bordering on the small skin depth BC were
laminated iron where permeability is high but the eddy currents might be
negligible.

Anyhow, thanks again for catching this--I will make the correction to the
manual.

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard