Re: [femm] Reconfiguring Femm to Individual Requirements: How?

Douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

What development environment is the 'best' for restructing the Femm
source code to individual requirements eg VC++, linux C++ compiler
etc? What libraries are required?
I'd rather not purchase new support software if I can help it.

My programming skills are fairly basic so I need some guidance on a
starting point.

Douglas Stevenson

Well, the source posted on the femm website is Visual C++ 4.  The program ends up using some stuff that is probably specific to vc++, so it would probably be difficult to build it with another compiler. You can load and compile the source on versions of vc++ later than 4 without any problems (at least it works OK with the VC++ 6 Enterprise Edition that I have installed on my work machine).  Everything that you need to compile the program with vc++ is included in the source distribution (i.e. no libraries that you have to round up from somewhere else).

While Visual C++ isn't freeware, it isn't all that expensive to acquire.  Since I'm a cheapskate, I run the vc++4.0 Standard Edition at home, which came bundled with the book "Essential Visual C++ 4" for about $40 US.   The Standard Edition of vc++6 is available new for $82 US at buy.com, and you could probably get a used version on ebay for about $20.

Dave

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard