student of fem group need help

hello
i am a member of FEM group studying M.E Power
Electronics in P.S.G college of Technology,
Coimbatore, India. Iam doing a project named "Analysis
of permanent Magnet Synchronous Motr using Finite
Element method".
Still iam not very clear what type, i mean which part
of analysis i can do. i am planing to find the
Saturated synchronous reactances of the motor and to
find its core losses. i got some IEEE papers in these
topics.I am new to this Finite Element Analysis.
Please tell me is it possible to do the above
analysis. For this purpose i am using ANSYS sofware
package version 5.4.
Can i do the above types of analysis with the above
package and can i get good results. Also tell me how
to start studying about Finite Elements.
waiting for your advice,
sivaprasad.