Re: [femm] Worked example needed

In a message dated 9/4/01 11:03:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jim.bloor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have two problems.  Can anybody supply a worked example of a simple
multilayer coil wound on a steel core.  I would like to work out the
inductance.  I have modelled the coil and calculated the inductance
using the E and I values but I get an answer which is 1 million times
too small.  I am obviously doing something silly here.  Since this is
a basic problem I'm sure somebody can put me right.

I've put an example problem for computing inductance at:
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/gmagnetics/Inductance-Example/Inductance-Example.

htm

Another nice inductance example is on Jim's website at:
http://web2.iadfw.net/jd4usa/guncoil5.htm

The second problem is how to get axisymmetric models to calculate.
No matter how I draw the model, I get an error message when I press
the calculate button.  Once again I am sure this is s trivial problem
but there is no information in the manual to help.

Make sure that you don't have anything drawn at a radius of less than
zero--otherwise, you will get a cryptic error message about not being able to
solve the problem.  I should change this message to be more informative....
As an example of an axisymmetric problem, check out Example 2 at
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/gmagnetics/tutor/tutor.htm

Anyway - Femm is brilliant and I look forward to learning how to use
it more effectively.

Regards

Jim Bloor