Re: [femm] LEAKAGE REACTANCE

In a message dated 10/23/01 9:43:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
obilgin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi every body,
>
> To be able to calculate the leakage reactance of stator and totor do we
have
> to use real part of the time harmonic solution.
> best regards.

This sort of depends on what you are doing. If you are trying to find things
like slot leakage, a magnetostatic solution of just one of the slots ought to
be sufficient.

When you are doing time-harmonic problems, the real and imaginary parts
represent the field at different points in time. For example, if you are
interested in some complex value u = ur + j*ui, you could convert this into
an explicit function of time via: u(t) = ur*Cos[omega*t] - ui*Sin[omega*t]
If you are looking, for example, at a flux linkage in a time-harmonic
problem, you could very well get a complex value. The magnitude of the
complex value is the peak flux linkage over the cycle, and the split between
the real and imaginary parts tells you about the phasing.

Dave.