Re: [femm] Re: inductance - revised axisymmetric model

You are right, I'm sorry I didn't model the multi-turn coil correctly. I assumed as long as the turns are much closer together than the radius of the coil, the actual turn spacing was not critical. This is incorrect. For a multi-turn coil, the turn spacing is very important and the radius of the wire used is less important.

The equation for a single turn coil can be applied to multi-turns only if the turns are closely packed. This would be the case if the coil is made with several turns of small wire that occupy the same volume as a single turn of larger wire. My FEMM model didn't take this into account, so it was a coincidence that the results appeared to be in agreement.

Today I ran FEMM for several single-turn coils with the following results:

Let F1=formula 1: L=R*u0*Ln(R/r) , R=coil radius, r=wire radius

For all the single turn coils:
Coil radius=0.4cm
J=1 MA/m^2

(a) wire radius=0.025 cm, L(femm)=15.4nH, L(F1)=13.9nH, ratio[L(femm)/L(f1)]=1.11
(b) wire radius=0.05 cm , L(femm)=12.1nH, L(F1)=10.4nH, ratio[L(femm)/L(f1)]=1.16
(c) wire radius=0.075 cm, L(femm)=10.1nH, L(F1)= 8.4nH, ratio[L(femm)/L(f1)]=1.21

The last coil (c) is shown in the attached file: singleturn1.fem.

It appears that as the wire radius becomes smaller, the ratio of the FEMM calculation to the inductance calculated by formula 1 gets closer to unity. I repeated the femm simulations with different mesh sizes and that has only a small effect on the results. (I expected the results of these two methods to agree more closely. Does anyone have an idea why the difference is this much?)

I made another coil using 4 turns of wire with a diameter of 0.06cm and configured it so the 4 turns fit in the same space as the single wire in coil (c) above which has a wire diameter of 0.15cm. This is file: four_turns.fem
The inductance of this coil calculated by FEMM is 167.8nH. This is close to 16X the inductance of the single turn coil (c) above (16*10.1=161.6nH).

Therefore, if you have a multi-turn coil with the turns closely packed, then formula 1 gives fairly accurate results is you use the outer radius of the wire bundle as the "wire_radius" term in the equation and then multiply by N^2.

During the past year I've compared the FEMM inductance value for a variety of long solenoids with the value calculated using Wheeler's formula and the difference is typically less than two or three percent.

-- Jim