Re: [femm] How to measure force on linear system?

"Davis, Richard W (WNS)" wrote:

I'm looking at eddy current brakes--linear kind, not rotating.

I'm looking for all the guidance folks can provide, but here are two specific questions...

Generally, femm doesn't treat eddy current problems with motion.  However, you can fool it into solving this problem.  Perhaps I'll try to write a short note explaining how to do it in more detail, but here's a quick outline: Perform the analysis from the point of view of an observer fixed on the
After you do the above sort of model, probably the best way to get forces on the plate is to integrate the Lorentz force over the plate area.  This is one of the "stock" integrals that you can do in femm.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard