RE: [femm] Re: Linux and 3D

I would be glad to participate in any future development and would like to
see a 3D version as well as a linux version, but do not underestimate just
how long it will take. It is quite easy to hack something together but to
make a solid piece of software takes much effort. I have just spent the best
part of two years working on a piece of software(windows) for my company so
I know from experience.

The most important thing I learnt was PLANNING !! . If it is well planned
out at the start things will be so much easier.

I have very little experience in Linux programming but would love to learn
and I have 0 experience in clustering so I would be glad to stay well out of
that one. AT present I am concentrating on windows however and still have a
few ideas I am trying to bring to femm.

The clustering seems like a top idea. I haven't thought things through but
there is no reason why just the solver cannot be remote ie on a cluster or a
high end server while people use the GUI on their normal Win or *nix box.
Effectively the solver can be more or less true c/c++ to make it source code
platform independent.

About computing power. I have Opera 3D here and it might take a while for a
3D calc but it is not unreasonable. (Opera 3D drives me around the bend
however).

Regards

Robin Cornelius