Re: [femm] Triangulation!

To Dear All:

Quick thought. triangles approximate a+bx+cy with 3 point on triangles. If we have sqaure or any other shape (more than 3 vertices), then we have more equations then needed (i.e over-determined.) Therefore, if we use square (or rectangles), we waste time. Can this be one of reason? Moreover, when we want to approximate with more than 2nd order, which is better between triangles with more points on them (point between vertices or center of traignles) and square (or triangles etc) when we can fit into shape?

Any comment?
Thanks
Sincerely,
Se-HO YOU

celia lauar wrote:

> David,
> Why does FEMM use triangles?
> Why not square?
> Célia.

It's easier to mesh arbitrary shapes with first-order triangles. There are fairly simple,
closed-form expressions for the element matrices with first order triangles, whereas things can be
messier with higher-order elements. It's easier to formulate the algorithm for nonlinear problems
with first-order triangles.

Dave.

<< dmeeker.vcf >>