Re: [femm] nonferrous electromagnet

Well, I guess it's possible to make a magnet that would push objects
that are conductive but not ferromagnetic towards itself. The first
example that I could think of was two concentric coils that have
currents flowing in opposite directions. At some point along the axis
of the two coils, the fields of the two coils cancel each other out. If
you put a small conductive object (like a copper disk) just outward of
the "dead spot," it would tend to be pulled in, towards the dead spot.
The same idea also seems to work if the inner coil is made into a
shorted turn. I've attached some examples. Note, however, that the
region in which the conductive disc is attracted rather than repelled is
limited--if you go farther out on the axis, the force direction switches
sign.

http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker