From: emacoustics
To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 2:16 PM
Subject: [femm] Modelling loudspeaker magnets..

Hello folks,

I'm kind of new to using FEMM, and am trying to model a loudspeaker
coil/magnet assembly for my final year university project. I'm
modelling to observe the effect the flux generated by the coil has on
the permanent magnetic field. The model is really simple - one block
of steel, one block of Neodinium, and one (and sometimes two) coils
(which are represented by square blocks at present, though may get
changed to circles) in the gap between them. My problem is in not
understanding how to input data for magnets - I modelled the system
with no current in the coil (and with no coil at all) expecting to
see field lines between the neodinium and the steel, and saw
nothing. When looking at material properties, there are lots of
values for constants I don't understand, nor did I really understand
the manual either. Can anybody point me in the right direction? The
model is just to show that the coil affects the permanent field when
a current runs through it, and by adding a seconc coil in antiphase
this can reduce this problem.

Many many thanks, I'm getting desperate!

Best Wishes,

Mike Wheeler
Final Year Undergraduate, BEng Mechanical Engineering
Imperial College, London

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

------=_NextPart_001_0013_01C1C1D1.D86C33E0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Mike,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I was in the same boat before so I can't stand
seeing you suffer. I have modelled the magnet, pole piece and yoke of a
loudspeaker coil configuration, but I have not studied the effect of the coil
current on the magnetic field nor indeed the combined effects of the 2 magnetic
fields on the coil current (assuming constant Vrms drive). The attached file
depicts half of the magnet assembly which is assumed axis symmetry in Polar
coordinate. The configuration and the value of B in the coil gap have been
verified experimentally. The model is belivable, ask me for the zone of
uncertainty if you need to. I cannot remember without looking it up in my
data&nbsp; files.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I would dearly like to know the conculsionof your
study if it is OK with you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheuk</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV
style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
<A href="mailto:michael.wheeler@xxxxxxxx";
title=michael.wheeler@xxxxxxxx>emacoustics</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A href="mailto:femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
title=femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, March 01, 2002 2:16
PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [femm] Modelling loudspeaker
magnets..</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><TT>Hello folks,<BR><BR>I'm kind of new to using FEMM, andam
trying to model a loudspeaker <BR>coil/magnet assembly for my final year
university project.&nbsp; I'm <BR>modelling to observe the effect the flux
generated by the coil has on <BR>the permanent magnetic field.&nbsp; The model
is really simple - one block <BR>of steel, one block of Neodinium, and one
(and sometimes two) coils <BR>(which are represented by square blocks at
present, though may get <BR>changed to circles) in the gap between them.&nbsp;
My problem is in not <BR>understanding how to input data for magnets - I
modelled the system <BR>with no current in the coil (and with no coil at all)
expecting to <BR>see field lines between the neodinium and the steel, andsaw
<BR>nothing.&nbsp; When looking at material properties, there are lots of
<BR>values for constants I don't understand, nor did I really understand
<BR>the manual either.&nbsp; Can anybody point me in the right
direction?&nbsp; The <BR>model is just to show that the coil affects the
permanent field when <BR>a current runs through it, and by adding a seconc
coil in antiphase <BR>this can reduce this problem.<BR><BR>Many many thanks,
I'm getting desperate!<BR><BR>Best Wishes,<BR><BR>Mike Wheeler<BR>Final Year
Undergraduate, BEng Mechanical Engineering<BR>Imperial College,
London<BR><BR><BR><BR></TT><BR><BR><TT>Your
href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo! Terms of Service</A>.</TT>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0013_01C1C1D1.D86C33E0--