Torque calculation

Hello everybody,

I am a new user of FEMM (just about one week). I am also a Mechanical Engineer, with experience in Finite Element Analysis in solid mechanics and heattransfer, but not in Magnetics. So I have many holes in my knowledge.

However, I am involved in a project whose target is to construct a microengine. My task is to calculate the torque that this micromotor can produce. The designers have given me the geometry, material properties and have explained to me the overall functioning of the microengine.

I have produced a model that I attach to this e-mail. We have the rotor, inthe middle, which is a magnet. After this, there is a small gap of air, and enclosing this, three copper sets of coils. Surrounding everything, a Pure iron cilinder.

My doubts come on how to model the currents that go through the coils. Theyare the same alternate current but they are dephased 120º. I have used density currents of diferent signs, but I think that I am making errors. In fact, if I use no current, the same Torque is calculated by the program.

Can anyone help me? I feel lost and guess that this modelling I am making has been done before me many times by people like the readers of this list.

Thank you.

Iñaki Garmendia
<<mag03.FEM>>