Re: [femm] Re: Current

Hi. David:

In your example there are only 7 coils. But practically there can be hundreds or even thousands of coils. How can one assign all those coils the circuit propeties automatically without having to assign it one after another?

Thanks.

>From: David Meeker
>To: femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [femm] Re: Current
>Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:29:20 -0400
>
><< prox-ex.zip >>

brian_hawes wrote:
Keith,
Thanks for the reply. My problem is thus: I have a simple simulation
of a single curent carrying ring. I have defined the current density
in the model for the copper. If I simulate at very low frequency,
such that skin and proximity effects are negligable, then the total
current, found by using the block integral feature in FemView, is
what I would expect - J x Area. Now, if I increase the frequency such
that skin and proximity effects occurr, then the total current,
measured with FemView appears to fall. I would expect, as you say,
that the total current would remain constant, and just be
redistributed.
Brian
If you define a "source current density," this is defines the current that you would get at 0 Hz.  At nonzero frequencies, in conductive regions, some of the current gets bucked by inductance.

For your purposes, you want to apply currents via "circuit" properties, which are really constraints on the total current carried in a region.  Then, the current redistributes itself due to eddy current effects, but the total amount of current is constrained to a certain value.

I've attached a zipped example of  a 7-turn coil.  Each turn has a "circuit" constraint applied to it so that each turn carries exactly 1 amp.  The example is run a 10 kHz, so that there are some noticable skin and prox. effects.