Solenoid Question

Hello. I have a question. I do not need to know about solenoids
specifically, as in actuators. I am building variations of a device
which must generate a time-varying magnetic field at audio
frequencies.
The current source is the audio output jack of a CD player.
I wound a small coil around a ferrite core, using fine magnet wire
from Radio Shack, two layers, tightly wound both leads at one end.
Now I wish to make many of the devices, and wish to avoid winding all
those coils. I would like to purchase ready-made ferrite core coils.
My question is, what factors might affect:

1. The strength of the magnetic field
2. The signal characteristics as to reproducing it faithfully,
like the first coil I made

Is wire diameter, number of turns, diameter or length of core
critical? It is very important that I get this right.
Thanks in advance for your help.
James Roberts