Re: Solenoid Question

--- In femm@xxxx, "James Stephenson" <j.stephen@xxxx> wrote:
> xeno_tropic,
>
> Every parameter that you mentioned is critical (wire diameter, core
diameter/length, # of turns). Obviously you need to keep the device
specification tolorance in mind before answering these questions. I
can tell you that small variations in the four variables you
mentioned can have large consequences from an inductance perspective.

> The inductance of a solonoid is a strong function of the number of
turns and the core material permeability. The wire diameter has less
of an effect on the inductance at audio frequencies as long as we
assume the wire diameter is much smaller than the core diameter.

I appreciate your answer. I will seek coils as close to my original
as is possible. I am basically using the electromagnets to alter
human neurological function. The CD contains signals that mimic
certain characteristics of the electrical signals generated by
neurons. The wire diameter is fine, and the core diameter is very
large compared to the wire. As the current source is the audio output
of a CD player, I assume, as in small audio transformers, that many
turns of fine wire helps to faithfully reproduce the frequency.
Thanks again.
James