continuous looping in fkern

hi,

I'm doing some small fea analysis. my pc is a celeron500 with 64mb
memory. My problem is not more than 100mm x 100mm planar. mesh size
varies from 0.1mm in some blocks to 5mm in air. total node count is
around 18k to 30k (depending on mesh sizes).

The problem I face is:
sometimes..., fkern loops for an inordinately long time without
upgrading the newton iteration counter while continuously looping
in "matrix construction" and "conjugate solver". If I stop fkern and
adjust my file (I move any one or two node points or change the mesh
size -slightly- at any one place) the next time fkern completes. this
I've noticed in not one problem but in many. Am I doing something
wrong? is my computer slow? I've even seen the NI count decreasing!!
Is that supposed to happen?

One more question please.
my project is like a permanent magnetgun. I need to apply an
attractive force of 250 Newtons on a projectile (iron/steel) about
100mg weight from a min. distance of 1mm away from the surface of the
magnet. What would be the size, shape and any other properties of the
permanent magnet (NdFeB) required to do the job? the shape (of both)
is adjustable. The projectile is never less than 1mm away from the
magnet.

Thanks prem for enlightening me.

Shiv