Select nodes and blocks together

Hello.
Since a while I have on my web page an interactive magnetic wheel
simulator with FEMM as web service. My next step is to make a movie
of a simulation. My program is now creating a lua-script that, after
saving a bitmap, rotates magnets a few degrees (thanks Dave) and
makes a new bitmap, until 360 degrees.
Not everything have to rotate so I have to select the nodes first
and rotate them (arc and segments are following). Then I have to
select the blocks and rotate. Since I loose the nodes selection
because of chancing edit mode the script has to rebuild from scratch
the next time and make a bigger step to rotate. This is normally no
problem since it takes now 1 minute to generate 36 bitmaps but when
running as a web service I need more speed since I have to convert
to an animated gif as well.

The question is:
Is there a way that I can select nodes and blocks at the same time?
Because then I can rotate the selection step by step and generated
bitmaps in between.
Thanks,
Eric.