Re: [femm] Re: calulation of the magnetic flux

Michael Salloker wrote:

Thank you for your reply David.

One additional question: Assume I have two coils, coil 1 is the
exciation coil with the current i1 and coil 2 has no current. How do
I calculate the flux linking coil 2?

Michael

What can I do, if I want to calculate the flux through a coil excited
by

> Perform the A.J volume integral and divide the result by the coil
> current. This gives you the total flux linking your coil.

If you have no current in the coil, integrate A over the volume of the coil and multiply by:
(number of turns)/(coil cross section area). This will also work with coils that are carrying current. The only sort of "tricky" part is if you have more than one region contributing to the result, like in a 2D case. In that case, you add the contributions from the regions in which a positive coil current is directed out of the screen, and subtract the contributions from the region in which a positive coil current is directed into the screen. The advantage of doing the A.J integral instead (when you can, because the coil is carrying current) is that it sorts all of that part out automatically.

When in doubt, you could alternatively do an analysis with a trivial coil current in the coil with "no" current (e.g. 1e-6 A/mm^2) and do the Integral(A.J)/(coil current) approach where the coil current is that coil current that would be implied by the even 1e-6 A/mm^2 coil current density.

Anyhow, also see section 4.9 of the manual, which hits on these points, too.

email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker