Re: [femm] Re: Grid alignment in reopened files

dartagnan1212 wrote:

Hello Keith,

Perhaps I'm still missing something here. I created the files
without changing the defaults, except to specify a centimeter scale. A new project starts with the default set to inches, but when I open
a saved file, the cm. scale is preserved. All seems fine and dandy
except the grid's relationship to my points is not preserved. For
example, on the one I rechecked last night, the grid looked like I
was zoomed way in, but the drawing was full screen, like I was zoomed
normal.

Is is just me? Does this not happen to you when you save and reopen
projects?

Thanks,

Bill

When the program is first started or when Files|New is selected, the program defaults to the grid size specified in the Preferences.

View and grid setting are not saved as part of a data file. When a file is opened from disk, the view is zoomed and centered so that the entire geometry is displayed on the screen with the biggest possible resolution. The grid size is then picked to be the "most appropriate" power of 10 relative to the dimensions of the part being displayed. For example, if your geometry were contained in a 1" by 1" square, the grid size would be selected as 0.1"

There is no offset to the grid points. If we use g to represent the grid spacing, grid points would be located at (i*g,j*g) where i and j are any integers.

The default Preference for grid spacing is 0.25". I'd guess that you just need to specify 0.25" as the grid spacing after you open a new file. Either that, or select the grid setting so that the points defined by (i*g,j*g) coincide with your geometry (if you are lucky enough to have a geometry which is that regular).

email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker