Re: [femm] zoomier

Dave Squires wrote:

Dave,
I think you missed the point here (or I did).

Say you want to set a very small air gap
let's say 0.001".
Now you design it with 0.001" resolution
or even smaller. If you try to zoom in
to get a 0.001" grid to fill the screen
with just 4-6 points, you can't do it.

The zoom factor stops long before that.
If you use the window zoom and stretch a
box around a small region it just ignores
it and reorients the screen with no zoom
at all. Where does that limit come from?
It seems that more zoom of the screen drawing
should be possible....or maybe not?
If you have 15 decimal places of exponent
that is a lot of resolution and the screen
should not have much to do with it.

Dave Squires

The entire range from -2^15 to +2^15 is "just" 65536 pixels. If, for example, you were running a window 800 pixels wide, the maximum that you could zoom to would be roughly 65536/800, or about 80 times the resolution compared to the view when the full geometry is displayed.
email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker