Re: [femm] Permanent Magnet Data

tano1938 wrote:

Are the BH curve data and the coercivity values for permanent magnet
materials given in the materials library intrinsic values or do they
include the free space permeability as well? I'm having some problem
relating this data to published data from the manufacturer. Also, is
the data for Alnico series for cast Alnico? I'm assuming that I can
shift this data by the coercivity value to obtain second quadrant
demagnetization curves.

Thanks for the help

The information in the femm B-H curve for a permanent magnet is the "normal" demagnetization curve (as opposed to the the "intrinsic" demagnetization curve, see http://www.magnetweb.com/Sect1C.htm for an explanation) shifted to the right by Hc. You can recover the second quadrant normal demagnetization curve by subtracting Hc from the H values listed in the tables.

The Alnico 8 curve was obtained by digitizing figure 4-2(a), "Unit property curves for anisotropic cast Alnico," from:
R. J. Parker and R. J. Studders, "Permanent magnets and their application," John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1962
The Alnico 5 and 6 curves were cribbed from the "Standard handbook for electrical engineers." Although it is not noted whether or not these are cast alnicos, the demagnetization curves don't differ drastically from the curves for Alnico 5 and 6 from the Parker and Studders book.

email: dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
www: http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker