Re: Permanent magnet operating point

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "tano1938" <rgarritano@xxxx> wrote:
> What,s the best way to get the permanent magnet operating point for a
> magnetic circuit using femm. I've been using the integral of B over
> the block (magnet), dividing this by the volume to get the average B
> and then using this average B with the the magnet data curve and
> coercivity to get H. Is there a better or an easier way.
>
> Thanks for your help

The way that FEMM works, an operating point is really being determined
for each individual element. If I understand correctly, what you want
to do is get sort of a reduced-complexity circuit representation of
your problem in which the magnet is represented as one single element
in a magnetic circuit.

The problem here is that in some geometries, different parts of the
magnet might be operating at very different operating points. The
"right" way to do the approximation probably depends on which
particular device you are trying to model. If the field inside the
magnet is fairly homogeneous, averaging the B in the magnet is
probably an OK way to go. One sort of interesting reference that uses
this approach, at least as a metric in comparing different ways of
looking at the operating point of permanent magnets, is:
http://www.consult-g2.com/papers/paper16/paper.html
Another interesting document is:
http://www.duramag.com/engmach/MMPA%20PMG-88.pdf
On page 8, in the "Demagnetization factor and load lines and circuit
concepts," different demagnetization factors are presented depending
upon whether you are trying to determine the flux passing through the
center cross-section of the magnet or the average flux in the magnet.

http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker