Re: [femm] transient analysis

William,

Can I make a few comments without putting you off experimenting....

If I was building a capacitor discharge induction launcher, i.e. one that produces current in the projectile by induction (and I have built a few) I wouldn't have iron anywhere near it. The performance of an induction launcher is affected dramatically by the magnitude of the projectile current, that current is dependent on the magnitude of the emfs induced in the projectile by the drive coil field and the emfs are dependant on the rate at which the field changes. Any iron (or any parasitic conducting media in the region of the drive coil) will slow down that rate of change. In addition, for good performance the flux densities in the region between the drive coil and projectile must be, at least transiently, very high; probably at least tens of tesla. This is far bigger than iron can sustain and it will just act like air.

I would suggest that you just use FEMM to work out the system inductances and their variation with projectile position and then use those characteristics in a MatLab simulation to work out the forces. The simulation would be able to make a reasonable estimate of the projectile current too. It might be possible to determine from AC FEMM simulations an effective "shorted-turn" representation of the iron so that eddy-current effects could be included in a MatLab simulation.

I have found in the past that static AC simulations - where the projectile is assumed not to move - made at the approximate ringing frequency of the system, allow pretty good comparisons of different coil designs to be made. They don't work in absolute terms but comparisons seem to be OK.

Have fun.

Keith.