Electro magnet

Dear all.
I'm not sure my question fits in this forum. If not, the moderator may remove it. My question is:
I have no knowledge about electro magnets but I want to design an electro magnet that operates without an iron (or any magnetic material) core. I hope that is possible.  As power I have 3 Volt,3.6 Watt (from a bicycle dynamo). How do I calculate the strongest electro magnet (wire thickness, coil diameter, coil size, number of turns).
Thanks in advance.
Eric Vogels.