Re: [femm] Problem with the unit of H

The CGS unit of mmf is the gilbert which is related to the ampere-turn by the multiplier 2.5/pi (multiply gilberts by 2.5 and divide by pi to get ampere-turns). So the G could be gilberts.

I don't know what the m is though. It shouldn't be metres because the cgs length unit is cm and besides which H would be G/cm.

The conventional cgs unit of magnetizing force, the oersted, is related to A/m by 250/pi, interesting that this is 100 times the gilbert conversion when there are 100 cm in a metre.

Try multiplying by 2.5/pi or 250/pi and see if you get reasonable answers.

Keith.