Re: [femm] Re: some proposals for future developments

Could I ask how you are driving the solenoid, is it dc or ac?

Keith.

At 14:27 24/09/2003 +0000, you wrote:
Also, for everyone else - just a question that has been eating at me
for a while... We have been using Femm as well as Ansoft Maxwell for
modeling solenoid actuators. The results agree well with each other
in general, and when we have actually built the devices for test the
models do a pretty fair job of predicting forces. However, in
solenoids where the iron is not very strongly magnetized (B field far
from saturation, ie. 1T or less) the results overestimate by a large
amount, as much as 30%. While for saturated designs, the accuracy can
be 5% or even better. This is true of both of the modeling programs
we have used - they both overestimate force at low saturation and
they both do so to roughly the same degree - that is they both give
similar wrong answers.

We have gotten around this to some extent by simply overengineering
the designs when the saturation is low, as well as intentionally
designing for saturation or near to it. But it is an irritating
phenomenon and I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this
problem. Our thought is that at saturation large errors in H cause
only very small changes in B, therefore the force calculation is more
numerically robust when problems are solved at saturation, versus at
peak permiability where a tiny shift in H could cause a huge shift in
B. But this would seem to suggest that we should see large errors of
underprediction as often as overprediction - and we don't. It always
overestimates.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks, Andy Reding