Re: [FEMM] Modeling multiple turn coils

Scott wrote:

I use FEMM to model loudspeaker motors and coils. Until now, I modeled coils as a single, non-conductive
cross-section with a current numerically equal to the
number of turns (I model them as non-conductive to
eliminate Hall effects that wouldn't be present in
real coils). In these cases,I believe the Lorentz
force is numerically equal to the ubiquitous speaker
parameter "BL".

To investigate this simplification I created two
models:  one with the single cross-section I described
above, and one with the cross-section divided into 50
smaller sections/blocks (to simulate 50 turns).  In
the first case there is one material property marker
assigned to a circuit with 5 Amps; in the second case
there are 50 separate property markers, each assigned
to a circuit with 0.1 Amp (5 total Amp-turns in both
cases).

My confusion: I expected similar results, but found
them very different. Moreover, I found that I could
get identical results if I use equal circuit currents
in both models, regardless of how many sections in
which the coil was divided. Is there an error in my
methodology for modeling turns explicitly/implicitly? I didn't find anything enlightening by searching prior
messages....

Thanks,
Scott

The "circuit properties" connect all of the regions marked with a particular circuit property in parallel. That's why you get the same result for your problem regardless of the number of pieces--the total amp*turns carried by the coil is the number defined as the current in the "circuit property."

I know the "circuits" thing can be confusing--I'd originally intended it merely to enforce current constraints in solid regions in eddy current problems. I'm working on adding a series-connected circuit property and adding turns as extra block label attribute so that assigning the currents in multi-turn coils will be a bit more natural.

Senior Engineer
Foster-Miller, Inc.
350 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451-1196