Re: [femm] Comparing inductance predictions: femm vs standard formula

Dan Haronian wrote:

Hi David
I wonder if you could help me with the following question:
Self inductance of wire with rectangular cross section is given by
2*L[Ln(2*L/(w+t)+0.5+0.22*(w+t)/L]
L is the length of the inductor, W and t are the width and height.
I was expecting to see the inductance to go to zero when w or t go to zero but this is not the case. Do you have a more accurate equation?
Thanks
Dan Haronian
Israel

The inductance of a single wire with no return isn't a well-defined problem. There are some formulas (which I think were cribbed from Grover) at:
http://home.san.rr.com/bushnell/self_inductance.htm
but don't use the one for the various single conductor cases unless you know what you are doing. I also haven't verified that these formulas have been _accurately_ cribbed from Grover....

At any rate, one can't model a single-conductor inductance problem by a 2D planar analysis in FEMM. Some return path for the current is always implied by the boundary conditions that you draw for the finite element solution -- the per-unit-length inductance of a single conductor in a truly unbounded 2D planar domain is infinite.

Inductance converges to finite, nonzero values if a coil is thin in one dimension. Inductance is infinite for a 2D or axisymmetric point current. If you try to simulate a point current in FEMM, the inductance that you obtain is strongly dependent on mesh density, with the inductance going to infinity as the mesh size goes to zero.

dmeeker@xxxxxxxx
http://femm.berlios.de/dmeeker