Re: [FEMM] Can't Spawn Triangle

Rick Page wrote:

I don't know if this is the reason, but I just installed a security update for Win98 and now FEMM 3.3 won't create a mesh. If one is there it uses it but if you change the model the mesh doesn't change. I installed version 4.0 and its error message is "call to triangle unsuccessful".
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms02-014.asp

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick Page

I don't think that this has anything to do with a security update--if it did, other programs would be affected too. At any rate, I run win98se on one of my machines--it's up to date with security patches and doesn't have any problems running either 3.3 or 4.0.

You get the "Can't Spawn Triangle" message if all of the executables aren't in the same directory. I've seen some people get this message when they've tried to make a shortcut to the femm or femme executables, but instead actually copied and/or moved the application itself.

If you get the "call to triangle unsuccessful" message in the 4.0 version, it means that the program could find triangle and run it, but something went wrong in meshing your model. One way that this can happen is if the file that you are analyzing is stored in a directory that can't we written to, e.g. because the disk is full, etc.