[femm] Re: Hi!

Dear David,
my main interests are related the utilization of superconductors in magnetic
bearings. My group has developed a methodology for simulate the total and
partial magnetic shielding due to meissner and mixed states, using a
commercial FEM program, without the needing of modifying that program or
writing a new one(at the same time a spanish group has presented the same
methodology).
We have used this method to calculate the levitation forces in a magnetic
bearing that was built in the electrical engineering graduate program at
COPPE-UFRJ. Our theoretical result for the levitation height was 3.8 mm and
the experimental result measured by the engineers was about 3.5 mm.
Now I think we are gonna solve the Ginzburg-Landau equations of
superconductivity, by FEM, in order to construct the B(H) curve for a
superconductor. We have already done this curve with the method mentioned
above, but using the Bean model.
Another problem we'd like to deal with is the simulation of the magnetic
response of a superconductor to a time-varying magnetic field.
I'd like to discuss some theoretical aspects of FEM and would be very
pleased in helping to incorporate a superconductor calculation capability
into femm.

For a better understanding of superconductivity I suggest you to read the
book "Introduction to Superconductivity" by Rose-Innes and Rhoderick, and of
course we could talk about the subject here in the list, what could bring
benefits to other people who are interested in this subject.
I'm sending you (in attachment)a resumed form of our work.
An article of ours is in IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity,
june 1999,vol.9 number 2, page 964.

Agnaldo.