[femm] Re: FEMM files' format and other

Agnaldo Souza Pereira wrote:

> Does anybody know about the existence of any free
> 3D finite element program (for magnetism)in the net?
>
> As I said in my first message, my work is about the
> simulation of electrical machines containing
> superconducting parts. Now we are studying the stiffness
> of magnetic levitators, due to magnetic flux trapping
> in superconducting samples, and I would need to perform
> a 3D calculations.

As far as codes with some user interface capabilities, check out:

gmsh/GetDP at http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/services/elap/elm_en.html

Radia at
http://www.esrf.fr/machine/support/ids/Public/Codes/Radia/Radia.html

You might also take a look at EMAP: http://www.emclab.umr.edu/emap.html
This code does 3-D analysis, but it runs from the command line, and doesn't
have any pre- or post-processing capabilities. You also have to compile it
yourself, but there are good, free C compilers out there (i.e. djgpp) that
you could use to do the job, if you don't already have one.

> David, could you tell me some simple reference articles
> about the principles of inverse methods in
> electromagnetism?
>
> Agnaldo

I haven't really though about inverse methods, so I don't have any articles
that I can recommend. There was a thread related to this in
sci.physics.electromag about a month ago (search DejaNews for the original
post and follow-ups to "Lagrangian FROM evolution equations?"), but I don't
think any good reference were cited.

Getting slightly off-topic here, NASA-Marshall has put out a press release
about a machine that I designed. This machine is perhaps the first machine
designed with the aid of femm, so I suppose that this is sort of like
showing off baby pictures. If you are interested, check out:
http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/newsroom/news/releases/2000/00-023.html
It's the "Second magnetic levitation track installed at NASA Marshall" part
of the press release, and there are links to pictures of the machine and a
quicktime movie of the machine in action.

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard