Re: [femm] motion-induced torque

Hi,

as far as I remember, a moving geometry is not required for this type
of computation. It can be solved by DC and AC-steady state simulations,
i.e. by what Femm offers. However, I don't remember the exact procedure.
It should, however be possible to find the basics in the literature.
This will however only work for steady state. Transient behaviour on
the other hand is much more difficult, e.g. start-up of a mains
connected motor, where speed and slip are not constant.

Dave wrote:
>A related issue that actually is more difficult is the inclusion of
>motion-induced eddy currents. Instead of just solving series of relatively
>benign magnetostatic problems, motion-induced eddy currents mean that the
>problem is governed by equations with strong convective terms, which can be
>quite difficult to model accurately. I don't know of a commercial program
>that does really well in eddy current problems with high-speed motion.

I can imagine that that is a problem. What about Mega? Isn't that able to
directly include motion induced currents?

Greetings
Eckart