Re: Incorrect force direction

--- In femm@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Rob " <rtickle@xxxx> wrote:
> Also noticed that if you take away the bottom steel bar, the force
> is correctly calculated to be positive rightward, so it's something
> about the 2nd bar being there...

Hi Rob,

Removing one of the parallel bars eliminates the return flux path
between the bars. This return flux direction between the bars is
such that the magnet's own return flux will be in the same direction
and thus in opposition. This is where the negative force (to the
left) comes from. This force is correct and is present but is not
the whole picture.

The problem, as I see it, is that FEMM doesn't take into
consideration how the magnet's flux distribution will be effected by
the different working points encountered in the parallel bars. I
think it assumes a symmetrical distribution where it should be skewed
to the right. This should generate a positive (to the right) force,
which should be must greated than the much weaker negative (to the
left) repulsive force generated above.

I'm sure David will work it out.

Greg