Re: Incorrect force direction

This was an interesting problem to me because it showed me how my intuition
could be misled by the geometry of the problem. One would think by looking
at the problem (I did anyway) that there could be a centering force. It's
obvious that the magnet would experience an attractive force before it gets
fully between the bars - calculation with femm agrees with this if you move
the magnet a bit to the left. I think the position it is in for this problem
is right where it hits the fuzzy zone where that force is disappearing. To
convince myself of this, I grabbed the magnitude and normal components of B
along the right and left side contours where the force line integral is done
and put them in a spreadsheet. Then I calculated the x-component of the
force from the stress tensor for right and left sides and added them up. The
graph shows the right contour contribution (red) and the left contour
contribution (grey) with the total x component of force in black. It
illustrates what David mentioned in the previous post about two large but
opposite sign contributions summing to zero (or close to it). 2 notes: this
illustrates force up to a multiplicative constant since I didn't multiply by
path lengths. Also, I didn't include the x-component of force from the top
and bottom contours, since they are of equal magnitude but opposite sign,
and I assumed from the symmetry of the problem that they would cancel.
Based on this result though, I could see how the answer might be down in the
noise so to speak.

I tend to trust this result, but I would be interested in seeing some pics
of Greg's actual setup and magnets. I know the NdFeB magnets are highly
anisotropic and very strong; one possible source of stray force to look out
for would be if the magnetization direction of the magnet were not
completely perpendicular to the bar surfaces. Does the actual setup show a
true centering force in the center of the bar; i.e. does the force direction
switch signs as you roll past the middle?

Rob