Re: [femm] Re: Incorrect force direction

Greg Watson wrote:

> [...]

Well, Quickfield uses exactly the same technique to obtain forces as femm
does--evaluating Maxwell's stress tensor along a line. As such, it is subject to
all of the same caveats as femm with respect to force calculations. In your
problem, you could split the stress tensor integration into two parts--one for the
left side of the magnet, and one for the right side. If you did this, you'd find
that each result is a rather large number, and that both sides have nearly the same
magnitude, but different signs. The total force is then obtained by adding the two
results. This is basically subtracting two large numbers to get a small number,
which isn't a very well-conditioned problem. You could think of it as the stress
tensor on a path around the magnet has a large RMS value, but a nearly zero average
value. Here, the Quickfield Student Version's 500 node limit isn't adequate to
deliver an accurate result. For other problems (i.e. where RMS of stress tensor and
average of stress tensor are on the same order), the 500 nodes may be perfectly
fine. Their magn1.pbm is a good example of where you can get an OK model out of a
limited number of nodes.

> Actual duplication of the setup in reality does show a good generation of a
> centring force on the magnet.

If the rig matches the problem description, you shouldn't see a centering force once
the magnet gets between the iron bars. However, just like the numerical problem,
I'd expect the actual experimental rig to be pretty sensitive to perturbations.
Very strong vertical forces are cancelled out due to the magnet being exactly
centered between the bars. Small misalignments can cause these forces not to
cancel, and depending on how the magnet is mounted, react some of this force onto
the horizontal direction. For example, if the iron bars aren't exactly straight and
parallel, I'd expect that to translate into lateral forces. To test how the rig
performs, the magnet would have to ride on some sort of linear bearing. That
bearing would have to be aligned straight with respect to the bars. In addition,
the support for the magnet has be be relatively rigid--if you supported the magnet
with, say, a thin aluminum spoke, the bowing of the support would be an asymmetry
that would yield lateral forces. These are just some possibilities--you could
probably think of others.

Anyhow, I modeled your problem on Amperes by IES, which is a rather expensive
commercial 3-D magnetostatic solver based on boundary elements, rather than finite
elements. This ought to give a good idea of how things would run in a real 3-D test
rig, assuming everything is carefully aligned. I arbitrarily made the machine 1"
deep in the "into the page" direction, for the purposes of making a 3-D geometry. I
chose a relatively fine density for the surface elements, and then set it to
evaluate the forces on the magnet at a bunch of different axial positions. What it
predicts is that the centering force peaks when the front edge of the magnet is just
past the iron, with the centering force dropping to near zero when the magnet is
completely between the iron bars. femm predicts the same sort of behavior, except
that femm predicts the peak force to be more like 15 Newton/inch, rather than 9 N.
The force from the 3-D geometry is smaller than in the 2-D model because some of the
magnet's flux leaks into the sides of the bars--this is an intrinsically 3-D effect
that can't be modeled by a 2-D solver.

Anyhow, since it's only about 4K long, I've attached a pdf file that contains a plot
of the force versus distance profile predicted by Amperes 4.0.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard