Re: [[femm] Re: Batch processing / interfacing]

Hi frank

I do the similar think like you do (I use MS Excel and VBA for the controlling
of FEMM) and I also had to resolve the same problem, how to detect, the fknis
done or not. One simple way is to check the existence of .ans file in the
small loop, because the .ans file is created in final stage of fkn (it is
obvious, the results must be store). You can use the wait command in the loop
and then you can check the existence of the file let say every 10 seconds or
so. Note, you should delete eventual "old" .ans file before calling fkn.

George Vecerka
Department of Power Electric and Electronic
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Brno University of Technology
Czech Republic

frank.e.lenning@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative
--- In femm@xxxx, David Meeker <dmeeker@xxxx> wrote:

This is fantastic. I now have a batch processor working thanks to
Dave's open source policy. I wrote it in VBA and it took me about 12
hours or so to get it fully functional. All the program does to get
out currents in a block as a function of frequency is:

1) read in .fem file created using Dave's GUI. You must run the
modfel once so you can use it "standalone" later.
2) edit the file to change the frequency - I do this using Word
inside VBA.
3) launch FKERN using VB's Shell command. I haven't figured out yet
how to detect if fkn is done so I have a timer that waits for a
certain number of seconds before proceeding.
4) read in the .ans file - I had to study this for a while to figure
out the format but, again thanks to Dave's human readable file
approach, that didn't take too long. I do the reading using Excel
within VBA.
5) calculate block currents - this is where the open source really
came in handy - I just studied Dave's femmeview cpp files long enough
to figure out how he was calculating currents and duplicated it in
VBA.
6) write the currents to another file.
7) loop back to step 1