Re: [femm] [Faraday's law ?]

nasrul wrote:

> good morning everybody...I have a question for design the core shape of open loop transformer...Let say..if I want to transfer energy from primary to secondary coil but it is an open loop means that there exist an air-gap between two core says about 5 cm...what is the suitable shape to control the magnetic flux during the energy transmission to make sure that we can reduce the loss?..Can somebody help me?..Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Nasrul.

Perhaps the only design trick you can pull is to have a really large pole area to compensate for the big gap.

When you have large air gaps, the coupling between the primary and secondary is typically poor. To some extent, you can offset this effect by using capacitors to "cancel" the leakage inductance at a particular frequency.

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard