Re: [femm] [A few questions]

In a message dated 8/5/01 8:28:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sxy28@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

To Dear All:

How are you? I have a few questions.

(1) In the manual, denominator in equation (44) should be r^(n+1). It is
obvious mistake, but it did not change from previous manual.

Whoops--I'll correct this equation.

The thing I wanted to ask is
How I can use the mixed boundary condition. If I check the axi1.fem file,
the c0 coefficient is 6962160. Is this from (1/(mu_0*4.5 inch * 0.0254) ? I
would like to make sure that I know correctly. If the problem is the planar
in rectangular coordinate, Can I still use same equation (from the center
of
area of interest to most outside boundary) ?

Yes, you have interpreted it correctly.  Eq. (44) is just a typo.  The
result, eq. (46), is correct.  The boundary condition works regardless of
whether you are using polar or rectangular coordinates--you always get the
same answer regardless of the coordinate system.  However, you do have to
have a circular outer boundary for this to work right.

  The thing that I really want to ask is that in the manual it said when
n=1, the objects in the solution region look like a dipole when view from a
long distance. I would like to more explanation for this.

The idea is that a dipole has a field distribution of the same form that is
assumed in the derivation of the asymptotic boundary condition.

(2) In the manual, it says resistive losses from i^2*R. I think it should be
0.5*I^2*R. Nevertheless, I think FEMM gives correct value.

The instantaneous power is R*i^2.  For magnetostatic calculations, the loss
reported is R*i^2.  For AC problems, i varies sinusoidally, so the average
loss over a cycle ends up being (1/2)*R*i^2, so that's what's reported.

(3) In the layout, if I choose entire domain with " define area over which
integration performed", and calculate A dot J integration. Should it be
same
as magnetic field energy ?

Well, the A dot J integration usually yields 2*(stored energy), although
there are circumstances where this isn't true.  For example, if you are doing
a magnetostatic problem with nonlinear materials, this won't be the case.
Also, if you are using asymptotic boundary conditions, some of the energy is
stored "outside the domain", so that the A dot J will yield a (slightly)
higher energy than integrating "stored energy" over the entire domain.

Dave.