Re: [femm] addcontour, bitmaps and other LUA bits

Robin and group,

At 19:57 06/08/01 +0000, you wrote:
Dear Jiri Vecerka and group

Very well spotted, I didn't realise you could select an arc contour!
Yes there is problem here I will have a look and make the necessary
modification to the lua code to solve this.

As for the catch nearest node, the lua commands already do this, in
the pre processor anyway!
The commands for selecting objects nodes,labels,arcs or segments all
run their x and y parameters through a select closest function as do
the commands for adding segments and arc segments.
However it is not possible to select the closest node in the post-
processor while creating contours, which would be useful.

When drawing contours in the post-processor if you left click it picks the nearest point so it must know how to do it somehow - now I'm confused!

Dear Keith Gregory and group,
For reference the bitmap saving code used by lua uses the default
bitmap file headers used by visual c++ 6.0 this I believe is the v6
header which may not be compatible with windows 95 and some NT4.0's
depending on service pack. I am quite supprised that word 97 cannot
load them however but my version cannot load it either(i'v just
checked). I assume that office 97 is still using the win95 libs.May
be i should drop back a few file versions to increase compatibility.

I am still using windows 95 at home, I'll try it on 98 when when I get the chance, maybe NT as well.

The pictures do not need to be bitmaps. I just knew how to save as
bitmaps, it is the easy option. If anybody has recomendations on the
file format to use, let me know.

Well the list could be endless but:

I never (well hardly ever) use windows bitmaps (BMP) because they are so big, nearly 1.5M for a normal sized window dump. I usually use TIFF which only needs about 150k for the same dump and it can be compressed even smaller. However, if you are trying to make animations then probably the easiest form is GIF, which is also small in native form, smaller than TIFF I think. The only problem I have found with GIFs is that they tend to have a speckled background in what you would think should be white.

You can of course convert from one form of bitmap to another. I use IrfanView to do this because its small, fast, can handle batch conversions and is FREE!

For inclusion in a document I usually use metafiles so the EMF copy in FEMM is useful.

Keith.