Material for pole pieces of Magnet

Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a voice coil actuator (re-inventing
the wheel really). I have always been advised to use advanced
magnetic material such as Vacoflux 50 for the outer pole piece . The
magnet I am using is a NdFeB with Hc of 1000000 A/m. The load line is
above the knee to avoid temperature de-mag effect. The air gap need
to be of the order of 3 to 4mm to accommodate the coil.

I have been paying £6000/m for that polepiece material which makes
the actuator financially unattractive. I use Dave's program to
simulate the magnet/air gap configuration and I evaluate the integral
of H along flux lines with the following results:

NI drop in inner polepiece (DTD iron) = 99 A
NI drop in outer polepiece (the expansive stuff) = 10 A
NI drop in air gap = 1210 A

What this is telling me is that the B in the air gap is controlled by
the air gap itself and the polepiece materials have very little
effect!!
I then change the Vacoflux 50 in the model with 430 Stainless which
has much worse magnetic properties. Dave's program is great in this
aspect. It is so easy to change material properties. The resultant B
in the air gap has scarcely changed.

The conclusion I try to draw is that as long as the polepiece
material does not exceed its satuation B, the choice of material is
immaterial! So what if the B in the polepiece is above the knee. It
does not make any sufficient change in the gap B to justify the high
cost.

This agrees with most text book when they talk about volume of magnet
etc as the iron loss is insignificant when compared with the air gap
loss. But this must be wrong because it contradicts with my guru in
magnetic (namely the salesman of the expansive stuff).

I think I should make a polepiece out of mild steel and test out the
hypothesis.

Can anyone please enlighten me. What should I watch out for if I
change the expansive stuff to mild steel. Temperature effect?
demagnetisation? Can't sleep at night? Am I barking up the wrong or
the right tree?

C F Cheuk
England