Re: [femm] Material for pole pieces of Magnet

Dear CF Cheuk,

The reccommendation for expensive material may be for a reason other than what you assume.
It may not involve permeability (or reluctance) considerations at all.

Here's how I think of the permeability considerations, by the way: if I have a 1" air gap of a certain cross section, the reluctance of that is equal to half that same air gap filled in with a material of permeability=2 (twice that of air). In other words, the mu=2 filled air gap magnetically appears as a 1/2" gap of air. Likewise, a mu=4 filled gap appears as a 1/4" air gap, all other considerations aside.

Now, if you assume that steel has a mu of 1,000 and Vacoflux 50 (which I've never heard of before) has a mu of 10,000 let's say that the magnetic path length from the magnet to the gap is 2".

Therefore, the 1000-mu steel now appears as a 1/500" air gap. The Vacoflux 50 appears as a 1/5,000" air gap. Since the actual air gap is (let's say) 3mm, the difference between 1/500 and 1/5000" air gap additionally (represented by the pole piece material) is indeed insignificant, probably below the physical tolerances of the device.

In short, the airgap (where the permeable material is to be placed) is has an actual value of the gap length divided by the gap permeability.

(This is, of course, discounting nonlinear considerations like saturation, where the small "air gap length" represented by the permeable material suddenly begins to widen, eventually becoming an actual piece-length "air gap" when fully saturated).

Although the air gap analogy (as well as FEMM analysis) shows that material choice is relatively insignificant (at least above a thousand mu or so) the conductivity of expensive, high-permeability mu material is, on average, greater than cheap steel.

Do remember that the pole pieces you are using probably represent shorted turns, in transformer relation to the voice coil. As shorted turns, their conductivity determines how "shorted" a "secondary" they represent.

As the voice coil conducts amplifier current and exhibits a varying magnetic field external to it, the flux cuts the mu material, causing eddy currents to circulate around the material (which is not exactly something FEMM was built to model). Lenz's Law dictates that these induced currents serve to counter what induces them; therefore, the force between the coil and the mu material (carrying induced current) is repulsive and the impedance of the voice coil is closer to resistive, and less reactive ("imaginary").

This results in a better speaker, performance-wise: the voice coil exhibits additional force from inductive interactions, and the amplifier sees a load that is more resistive: current and voltage have a less convoluted relationship.

If I owned a speaker company, I would do the following (which may give you an advantage, if your company manufactures speakers): use cheaper permeable materials, and coat the pole faces of these materials (or any part of the pole piece that the voice-coil flux will cut)in silver, with a final (thin) layer of gold. The silver gives the highest conductivity (inductive repulsion) possible; the gold prevents oxidation. (Polymer coatings could be used as well, provided they are thin enough).

This conductive-coating method may let you produce a speaker whose pole pieces are less expensive than exotic permeables, with better performance than those expensive components could offer alone.

Regards,
Graham Gunderson