Re: [femm] Eddy currents in thick laminations

Douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Problem:
>
> How does one approach determining the eddy-current losses in
> a "laminated material" with a thickness of several millimeters and
> where the frequency under consideration is greatly above the more
> usual 50-60Hz range. Surely the skin depth must now become an issue,
> as the lamination is no longer a "thin" conductor with uniform
> current density. The simpler (freshman textbook type) formulas no
> longer apply? Any pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated.
>
> Douglas Stevenson

Also, I forgot to say that the formulation that femm uses to treat
laminations is the one from Stoll that includes skin effects. In his book,
he develops an apparent, frequency-dependent permeability that includes the
skin effects. When you calculate the "Hysteresis and/or Laminated Eddy
Current Losses" integral or the "Total Losses" integral, the losses are
calculated in a way that includes the skin effects. There is some info about
this in Appendix B of the manual.

Some things to be careful of however--the laminated eddy current formulation
doesn't consider nonlinear material properties. If you have a thin skin
region, it's pretty easy to make that region highly saturated. If this is
the case, the model (which assumes linear material properties) is less
accurate. Also, if the material properties (permeability, conductivity, and
"hysteresis lag" parameter) aren't carefully chosen (perhaps on the basis of
experiments with test rings of your material), the loss predictions can be
not very accurate.

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard