Further cogging torque problems

Dear Group.

I have now got my model behaving reasonable well and get results that tie up
with the actual rotor.

I am trying to reduce the cogging torque and have looked at a halbach
magnetisation process. My current rotor is 6 pole (radial), femm predicts
that a 6 pole halbach has minimal savings, over the redial. A 4 pole halbach
can produce aprox. 1/4 of the normal torque (leaving the stator as 6 pole)
but a 4 pole (6 stator poles) radial magnetisation will be comparable to to
hallbach cogging torque. I don't (yet?) have a halbach fixture but I do have
a four pole fixture that fits the same rotor and physical tests agree with
in 10-20% of femm ie only 1/4 of the original cogging torque.

I am stuck with the 6 pole stator but can easily adjust the magnet. Does
this tie up with other peoples results of this type of work ( I though
hallbach produced very low cogging torques) (maybe I am doing it wrong!).
Any other suggestions would be most welcome

Best Regards

Robin Cornelius
robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hirst Magnetic Instruments Ltd