Re: [femm] Linux and 3D

Alexandre Carvalho wrote:
Good morning. I´d like to know if somebody have any
project to convert femm for windows to linux plataform
and if there are an other project to implements 3D
tasks.

Well, there isn't anybody that I know of working on making a linux version.  The 3.0 version of femm ran on linux with Wine.  Unfortunately, it was recently reported that the 3.1 version doesn't work with Wine.  I don't know what aspect of the new version is distasteful to Wine--if you really need to run femm with Wine, the 3.0b4 version can still be downloaded at
 http://download.berlios.de/femm/femm032601.exe and  http://download.berlios.de/femm/femmsrc032601.zip for the executable and source, respectively.  It would be nice if someone was interesting in porting the program to linux, but I currently don't have access to a linux machine.

Similarly, there has been interest in a 3D version, but nothing much has gotten off the ground yet.  Si Hang has recently released a tetrahedral mesh generator (Tetgen) that could be used as the backbone of a 3D program, and some of the numerical parts of the solver could be salvaged to speed up the coding of a 3D version.  However, 3D versions of the pre- and post-processor would still have to be written, and the effort required to do that shouldn't be underestimated.  For example, the code required to do the user interface (preprocessor, post-processor, plot viewer) is about 6 times as long as the solver, and I'd guess that it took about 6 times the amount of time to do the interface as compared to the time that it took to write the solver.

I´d like to cooperate with this projects because I
will use this new features in my Phd Thesis.

Any contributions that you want to make are welcome. A lot of important functionality has been added to the program in just this way (e.g. lua scripting, fast triangle search algorithm).

Dave.

begin:vcard
n:Meeker;David
tel;fax:781-890-3489
tel;work:781-684-4070
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dcm3c
org:Foster-Miller, Inc.;Electrical and Electronic Systems Group
version:2.1
email;internet:dmeeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;350 Second Avenue=0D=0A;Waltham;MA;02451-1196;USA
fn:David Meeker, Ph.D.
end:vcard