Re: [femm] Solenoid Modelling Question

Femm is pretty good with solenoids.  An example would be the "Force on a Saturating Solenoid Actuator" on the femm examples page at http://femm.berlios.de/examples.htm.  I should have pointed this one out to Matthew, but it slipped my mind.

The ultimate book for the design of solenoidal actuators is:

Herbert C. Roters, Electromagnetic Devices, John Wiley & Sons, 1941.

This is an excellent book, but fairly hard to get ahold of.

Dave Meeker.

gopalan_m wrote:

 Hi,

As part of my work, I require a solenoid for a product. I have
designed a solenoid empirically and through "gut feeling", but I want
to proceed further into the design by actually doing some analysis.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by training, so I have experience with FEM
software like ansys for structural dynamics etc, but have never used
fem for magnetics analysis before.

I would appreciate and recommendations on books, software packages or
suggetions that any of you can give me.

For those who are technically inclined, ive listed some basic info
below...

Any help woull be greatly appreciated...

Thanx

Manoj Gopalan
gopalan_m@xxxxxxxxx